It’s the last week of a very interesting year, and we have a lot of exciting things going on. Below are the things happening school-wide, and students will also have a range of fun activities in their classes. We will be running our normal bell schedule both Wednesday and Thursday.
In this Skylert:
- This Week’s Highlights
- Memory Book Information
- Free EBook/Audiobook Opportunity
- Option to Test Out of Reading Class
- Summer Gap Programs
THIS WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS
- 9th Grade Memory Books (Given out during 1st, Signing Party during 7th)
- Year-End Assembly (Awards, Performances)
- 9th Grade Lagoon Day (Go to 1st period, purchase your pass online beforehand, and bring lunch or money for lunch)
- 7th & 8th Grade Memory Books (Given out during 1st, Signing Party during 7th)
- 7th & 8th Grade Activity Day (Each class will have activities and sign yearbooks on our regular bell schedule)
- 7th Grade Last Day of School
- Virtual Day for Students (No students in the building)
- 8th & 9th Grade Last Day of School – Enjoy a well-deserved break!
We have a limited number of memory books available for purchase for $30 using cash or a check made out to PTSA ERMS. 9th graders can purchase them on Wednesday during 1st hour and 7th/8th graders can purchase them during 1st hour on Thursday.
If you are going to be out of town on the day your child’s memory book is handed out, you may pick it up any time AFTER that date.
FREE EBOOKS / AUDIOBOOKS ALL SUMMER VIA THE SORA APP
We are pleased to introduce a free reading service providing digital books through Sora, a student reading app. The collection of titles in Sora is an extension of Jordan School District’s physical library, only it’s in an app with 24/7 access to ebooks and audiobooks. It’s convenient for students to check out titles at home, on the weekends or during school breaks.
Install the Sora app from your app store or go to soraapp.com. The service can be used anywhere on a computer, tablet or smartphone.
Browse the EXPLORE tab and borrow a book
- If the book is available, it will say BORROW
- If not, place the book on HOLD to read when it becomes available
Close the book and go to your shelf to see your books, from there you can:
- Tap OPEN BOOK or OPEN AUDIOBOOK to read or listen to the book
- Tap OPTIONS to renew or return the book and more
- Allow easy access to Salt Lake County Library’s collection, too! In the Sora menu select: + add a public library
ATTENTION READING STUDENTS:
If you are new to the school district, or feel that you have grown and improved as a reader since your last Reading Inventory which indicated your Lexile score, you will have the chance to test your reading proficiency before the school year. If you are hoping to test out of reading, this will be your only opportunity for Reading schedule changes until second semester. Come to Elk Ridge Middle School for an open house testing window on the following dates:
- Wednesday, August 4, 8:00-12:00
- Thursday, August 5, 12:00-3:00
*This test should take about 30-40 minutes. Check in at the main office
SUMMER GAP PROGRAMS
We are excited to be able to offer help to students who could use some optional reinforcement of the past year’s work in the following areas over the summer: Math, Science 7, Spanish 1 & 2, Spanish DLI, Art, Drawing, Painting, and Robotics. This is designed for students who are behind and need help to be ready for next school year. If you are interested in these programs and your student has not already been approached by their teacher, please have them talk with their teacher to see if what is being offered suits the needs of your student.